Arkansas Post Museum
While you're in Arkansas drop by and
Stroll through this complex of five exhibit buildings where artifacts and documents depict Arkansas's history from colonial days to the modern era. The exhibit buildings are authentic Delta structures.
Explore this complex of five exhibit buildings and learn about life on, and the history of, Arkansas's Grand Prairie and Delta. The Main House contains an audiovisual room and gift shop. The Summer Kitchen showcases domestic tools and kitchen instruments of old. The Peterson Building interprets life on the southern end of the Grand Prairie and the Delta through exhibits and artifacts on display. Two buildings on the museum grounds are original to the Grand Prairie. The 1877 Refeld-Hinman Loghouse is an example of how houses were built on the prairie and throughout the Delta. The 1933 Carnes-Bonner Playhouse, a miniature built-to-scale version of the Carnes' family home, displays children's furnishings, accessories, and toys.
Located nearby is the The
National Memorial. The first permanent European settlement on
the lower Mississippi River (1686) and Arkansas's first territorial
capital are commemorated by the National Memorial. The visitor
center has films and exhibits.
The Arkansas Post State Park Commission, established by Legislative Act 57 of 1929, acquired sixty-two acres that had been occupied by Arkansas Post when it became the capital of Arkansas Territory in 1819, when the territory was established. At the time of the parkís creation, there were no structures remaining of Arkansas Post, but some military trenches were found on the grounds. The site became Arkansasís first historical state park. The Refeld-Hinman Log Cabin (circa 1877) was moved about two miles to the site and served as park headquarters. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built overnight cabins to lodge the commission.
In December 1953, the Grand Prairie Historical Society was formed and began to preserve the legacy of settlers in Arkansas County's southern territory from the establishment of the original Arkansas Post in 1686 forward. To display and protect collected artifacts, documents, and photographs, the society created a museum and archive, incorporated in 1960 as the Arkansas Post Museum. It was housed in the Refeld-Hinman cabin.
In 1960, Congress authorized the National Park Service to take over and develop the Arkansas Post site. Plans called for the national memorial to interpret Arkansas Postís history from European settlement to the Civil War, a time frame into which the museum and the Refeld-Hinman cabin did not fit. The museumís supporters began a relocation effort.
In 1963, the historical society purchased two acres for a new museum site at the intersection of Arkansas 169 and what is now U.S. 165, two miles from Arkansas Post National Memorial. In 1964, the Arkansas County Quorum Court appropriated funds for support of the new museum. A lawsuit challenging that action resulted in a landmark decision by the Arkansas Supreme Court, which said that support for museums represented valid expenditures of county funds. As a result, Arkansas Post County Museum became the first county-supported museum in Arkansas.
Due to research into the type of architecture in use at the time the seat of territorial government was moved from Arkansas Post to Little Rock (Pulaski County) in 1821, the new museum included a complex of four buildings: the main building housing the museumís earliest artifacts along with territorial exhibits, a kitchen building, an office building, and a carriage house. Total cost of the project was $50,124.35. The Refeld-Hinman cabin was donated to the museum by the National Park Service and moved to its current location in 1967.
While the museum does have some territorial and Civil War artifacts, most of the exhibits focus on postĖCivil War life on the Delta and the Grand Prairie along with the role agriculture played in the settling of these areas.
Later, additional land was acquired, and a fully furnished 1933 playhouse built with a wood-burning fireplace and electrical service was donated and relocated to the site.
The new museum was operated by the county from its opening in July 1966 until January 1997, when it was transferred to the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, becoming Arkansas Post Museum State Park. Native Grand Prairie plant species have since been restored to three acres of the museumís property.
Annual special events include a Heritage Celebration in May; Fright Night, an annual Halloween event, in October; a period Christmas Open House and Candlelight Stroll in December; and an annual Civil War Encampment.
Directions to Park
The museum is six miles south of Gillett
Quick Link |
Real Estate for Sale |
Real Estate for Rent |
Retiring in Mena AR
This Community Web Site, www.VisionMena.com
has been brought to you by
|Quick Link (Site Maps)|
|Arkansas Information Directory|
|Arkansas Facts and Trivia|
|Game and Fish|
|Arkansas State Parks|
|Delta Region of AR|
|Arkansas Post Museum|
|Arkansas Post National Memorial Map|
|Delta Heritage Trail|
|Prairie County Museum|
|Ask ?'s & Add Info|
|Community Links Site Map|
|Trade Area of Mena Arkansas|
|All About Mena|
|Clubs & Organizations|
|Special Events Calendar|
|Real Estate Information|
|Retiring in Mena|
|Real Estate for Sale|
|Real Estate for Rent|
|Contact Vision Realty|
Our Vision is Your Vision!
500 Mena St.
Mena, AR 71953
|Buyer & Seller Guide|
|Personal Property Tax|